When I get a brand new, flawless, unsullied anything- laptop, smart phone, car, BI software system, or whatever the item…I vow to keep it lean and mean and tell myself, “This time I’m not going to accumulate any unnecessary content, apps, data, trash, take out Chinese food containers, etc., and I am going to stay on top of regular maintenance.” Right.
Somehow, life gets in the way and my best laid plans get neglected. I am often playing defense to get my items back to peak performance rather than offensively and proactively preventing them from getting cluttered and sluggish.
Bad habits, however, can be broken. This year, I personally broke my own very bad habits and have managed to keep my new untainted gadgets pristine by scheduling some easy, routine tasks and best practices. I also used very similar techniques to get control over the performance and maintenance of an existing, inherited car that had been sadly neglected by its previous owner. Now, both old and new are running as expected.
These proactive, good habits can and should also be applied to your Cognos BI system, no matter if it is a brand new implementation or you’ve relied on it for more than a decade.
Our Performance Webinar on December 14 will give you some practical strategies to implement right away as well as some long-term practices worth adopting that will help you get control over Cognos performance.
During the webinar we will discuss the following:
- Causes of performance problems– First, you need to know where the culprits are coming from.
- Is your Content Store bloated?
- Are your reports poorly designed?
- Is it your infrastructure?
- How to address performance issues– Determine what approach or combination of tactics to use for your situation.
- Do you need to enforce some best practices?
- Implement some routine maintenance tasks?
- Do you need a full-blown performance overhaul?
- Details on tasks and best practices you can incorporate into your routine (weekly, monthly, etc.) to maintain good performance.
- We will discuss these in greater detail during the webinar. One example, is setting up retention rules to help you manage/limit the amount of report outputs accumulating in your Content Store- learn how to set up retention rules here.
- Tools and how they work to help you manage performance efficiently.
- We will show you how to use stress & load testing to proactively monitor performance and stay on top of it.